Meet Karen Blumberg, Technology Integrator
How are you involved in education?
- I’m a Technology Integrator at The School at Columbia University. I help students and faculty integrate technology into their curricular projects. When I’m not reminding kids to wash their hands with soap after using the bathroom, I teach them how to use technology and social media academically, respectfully, responsibly, and purposefully.
What’s your ideal classroom or school like?
- I am lucky enough to be in a school where adults and children are making strides in using technology to research, collaborate, and advance their learning. We don’t filter our network, and instead teach kids to make wise choices as everything they do online is public, permanent, and traceable.
Have you ever attended an unconference before?
- I went to the first EdCampPhilly and was immediately inspired to organize EdCampNYC hosted at The School at Columbia University. I’d been to other unconferences before led by NEIT (neit.wikispaces.com), TEDxSummit (tedxsummit.ted.com), and during faculty meetings at my school.
If you were to lead a session at EdCamp, what would it be about?
- Using TED talks and the new TED Ed initiative in the classroom (education.ted.com)
Do you have a website or blog?
Are you on Twitter?
What is your favorite digital tool?
- GoogleApps, Geometer’s Sketchpad