Coming to #edcamp philly? Please read this NOW!
We, your friendly neighborhood edcamp philly organizing team, want to share these last-minute tidbits to help ensure your edcamp experience is smooth, trouble free and dripping with awesome:
- EdCamp Philly will be held in Jon M. Huntsman Hall on the University of Pennsylvania campus. The address is 3730 Walnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19106. Click here for a map of the area.
Registration / doors open at 8:00 am
- Please be patient as you see the organizing team and volunteers scurrying madly in the minutes leading up to 8:00 am … that is when we will begin checking people in!
- There is street parking in the area and a large parking facility called Penn Garage 30 at 38th & Walnut directly across the street from Huntsman Hall. Click here for a pic of the garage. Here’s a photo of the rates they charge. The garage opens at 7am.
Use the Huntsman Hall entrance on Locust Walk
- Here’s a photo of the correct entrance to use (and here is another.) Do not use the entrance on Walnut. Just walk around the building and enter on Locust Walk. There will be signs all over the place to guide you.
Bring your Photo ID! <= this is IMPORTANT!
- UPenn security has a list of all registered edcampers and will check that list and your photo ID every time you enter the building. This includes if you leave the building for lunch. Please have your photo ID with you at all times so you can enter the building when needed. (TSA-style pat-downs are optional and are available for a small fee.)
- We’re sorry but the list of edcampers is now final and we can’t allow walk-in or on-site registration. 🙁
- Once you’ve checked in, come to Room 240 to enjoy some light refreshments and coffee courtesy of our terrific sponsor, PAECT!
- The first 200 attendees will be provided with a unique access code at registration. DO NOT LOSE THIS CODE! Also, do not SHARE your code, as it can only be used on one device at a time. So sorry! Please plan accordingly.
- Spiffy new WHITE event t-shirts designed for this year will be available (on a first-come, first-served basis) until supplies are exhausted.
- Once the schedule of sessions for the day is determined, it will be posted in this super-cool live updating Google Doc. Feel like bookmarking it now? Go ahead!
- We are going to provide greeter/volunteers with bright YELLOW EdCamp Philly shirts (from last year, like these). Greeters will be instructed to guide people and answer questions. If you would like to volunteer, please let us know when you sign in!
Flickr Group & Flickr Photo Tag
- http://www.flickr.com/groups/edcamp/ <= why not go ahead and join it now?
- edcampphilly2011 (yes we know, it’s different from the Twitter hashtag [we meant to do that])
Event Posterous: http://edcampphilly.posterous.com/
- Thanks for the idea, Edcamp Boston! If you take any notes, shoot any videos, take any pictures, prepare any slides, or write up any summaries of your Edcamp experience, make sure to send them here to the posterous! We’d love for this location to be a complete record of what people saw, thought, and felt before, during, and after Edcamp! Just send an email from the account you registered with to email@example.com.
- Individual session participants are invited to live stream their events if they so desire. We do not have an official conference channel. Sorry! Watch Twitter for any shared live streaming URLs.
Web 2.0 “Smackdown” at 3:30 pm in the auditorium
- A “Web 2.0 Smackdown” is a fun, lively session where people from the audience take turns coming up to the podium and are given a very short amount of time (measured in minutes) to show and possibly demonstrate a particular Web 2.0 tool. Don’t miss it!
Door prizes will be given away after the Smackdown
- We have a MANY AMAZING door prizes to give away thanks to our terrific sponsors! You must be present to win – we will handing out raffle tickets as attendees enter the auditorium for the Smackdown.
After party at City Tap House starts at 4:30 pm
- This year’s after party will be held at the City Tap House at 3925 Walnut St (about three blocks west of Huntsman Hall). The festivities start at 4:30 and go until 6pm. There should always a group heading that way at the end of the day, so come and hang out for some FREE food, drinks (on you) and conversation (free for everyone)! Click here for a map.
“Leave No Trace”
- Huntsman Hall is a pristine, exclusive, PRIVATE meeting space being made available to us by our awesome sponsor, Wharton Computing. Please clean up after yourself. While you’re at it, please clean up after others. We want to be invited back next year and need your help to ensure that happens!
That should be it! If anything changes or if new information becomes available, it will be posted here on the blog. Have a question? Post a comment!