Meet Lisa Butler, Middle School Spanish Teacher
How are you involved in education?
- Spanish Teacher at Hershey Middle School and new/summer professor of learning technologies at Harrisburg University.
What’s your ideal classroom or school like?
- I’ve loved being a 1:1 classroom, however the technology gets outdated quickly. My ideal classroom would have a robust BYOT policy in place, with potential grant opportunities for all students to purchase their own devices. Hopefully this would include a combination of device types because each one offers unique opportunities for education. All the students would also have access to the devices and Internet at home so activities could be extended outside the classroom. Obviously in an ideal school, all the tech tools that charge fees would be graciously paid by the school because they strongly value technology and the hard work of teachers willing to develop lessons that incorporate technology and 21st century skills. Finally, the school would have equal knowledge and comfort among staff, so we could collaborate in an open and enthusiastic environment.
Have you ever attended an unconference before?
- I attended EdCamp Harrisburg and loved it.
If you were to lead a session at EdCamp, what would it be about?
- Hidden gems of resources – you don’t have to create everything, learn to find resources created by others.
- Choose your own learning adventures – providing choice and responsibility to the students.
Do you have a website or blog?
Are you on Twitter?
What is your favorite digital tool?
- educreation app for creating flipped videos on iPad