Thank you for making our fifth Edcamp anniversary record breaking. With 181 educators from a variety disciplines, districts, and experiences, the Science Leadership Academy helped us host our biggest Edcamp Philly to date.
And the variety of educators present was clearly seen (through a window!) in the variety of conversations and sessions had throughout the day. Our schedule filled quickly with sessions focused on gamification, maker spaces, project-based learning, robotics, learning code, building personal learning networks, and just about everything in between! If you haven’t already done so, be sure to check out the links on the schedule to the fantastic wealth of notes and resources shared by participants in each of the sessions throughout the day.
So now that you have had a few weeks to digest what you learned at Edcamp Philly, we’re interested in hearing from you. What would you like to see in 2015? If you have ideas or suggestions, please share them with us HERE. And if you have photos, please add them to our Flickr pool.
Thanks again for all your support. Edcamp Philly would certainly not be successful without the enthusiasm, expertise, and collaboration of people like you! We look forward to seeing you again in 2015!
Hello and welcome to Edcamp Philly 2014! Our FIFTH year! Hope you’re ready for an awe-inspiring day of learning and sharing!
Need anything? Find the organizing team members should all be wearing official black Edcamp polo shirts!
Once you arrive and check in, please join us in the cafe (on the ground floor) for breakfast and to watch the schedule come together!
Have an eduawesome day, everyone!
- EdCamp Philly will be held at the Science Leadership Academy, 55 North 22nd Street – Philadelphia, PA 19103. Click here for a map of the area.
Registration / doors open at 8:00 am
- Please be patient as you see the organizing team and volunteers scurrying madly in the minutes leading up to 8:00 am … that is when we will begin checking people in!
- 30th St station can get you there as can the green line (trolleys) heading Eastbound into Center City. Get off at 22nd St and walk North one block.
- There is a paid lot directly behind SLA, on Walden Street, which can be accessed from either 22nd (northbound) or 21st (southbound). There is another paid lot at 23rd and Arch. In addition, there may be street parking in the area, depending on the time of your arrival, but, a lot is your best bet.
Walk-Ins are welcome!
- We are thrilled to be able to say that we can allow walk-ins this year. Yes, that’s right. You don’t even need to have registered. We’re expecting a record crowd – over 500 have said they are coming – why not allow for a few more? Our venue (and team) can handle it!
Breakfast & Schedule Creation
- Once you’ve checked in, come to to the Cafe (on the ground/lower floor as you enter) to enjoy some light refreshments and coffee courtesy of our terrific sponsor, PAECT! We’ll be creating the schedule in the same area, so, if things get crowded, please move around and find a place to sit and relax once you’ve gotten something to eat (and proposed a session if you wish.)
- Yes! We’ll have WiFi. No! We won’t have cryptic, hard-to-read codes. Details will be available on the day of the event.
- Yes, boys and girls, we’ve got STICKERS again this year! They will be available (on a first-come, first-served basis) until supplies are exhausted. One per Edcamper, please!
- Once the schedule of sessions for the day is determined, it will be posted here on the blog.
Greeters & Volunteers
- Interested in acting as a greeter/volunteers to direct people and answer questions? Please let us know when you sign in!
Flickr Group & Flickr Photo Tag
- http://www.flickr.com/groups/edcamp/ <= why not go ahead and join it now?
Capturing the Learning
- We have set up “Session Notes” Google Docs pages for each room and time slot. These documents are open for ALL to edit on Saturday. You can find the hyperlinks in the schedule.
“Smackdown” at 3:30 pm in the cafe
- A “Smackdown” is a fun, lively session where people from the audience take turns coming up to the podium and are given a very short amount of time (measured in minutes) to show and possibly demonstrate a particular Web 2.0 tool. Don’t miss it!
Door prizes will be given away after the Smackdown
- We have some cool door prizes to give away thanks to our terrific sponsors! You must be present to win – we will handing out raffle tickets as attendees enter the auditorium for the Smackdown.
After party at Kite and Key starts at 4:30 pm
- This year’s after party will be held at Kite and Key 1836 Callowhill St, Philadelphia, PA 19130. The festivities start at 4:30 and go until 6pm. There should always a group heading that way at the end of the day, so come and hang out! Click here for a map.
“Leave No Trace”
- We are so thankful the Science Leadership Academy has agreed to host our event this year. Please clean up after yourself. While you’re at it, please clean up after others, too. We want to treat the facility with the respect it deserves and leave it in the same (or better) condition than we found it.
- Computers in the classrooms (connected to projectors) may be used without a login. Laptops may also be connected. Don’t forget your dongles! We won’t have any dedicated “tech support” (like during Educon) so we’re on our own!
That should be it! If anything changes or if new information becomes available, it will be posted here on the blog. Have a question? Post a comment!
SEE YOU SATURDAY!
Hi everyone! We need your help…
We’ve sent an email to everyone who has registered.
If you CANNOT attend, would you please let us know via return email? A simple “Sorry, can’t make it!” is all we need. Please only RSVP if you are sure you CAN’T make it (for whatever reason – no explanation necessary).
If you ARE PLANNING TO ATTEND, no reply is necessary. Same thing if you are UNSURE. It’s all good!
If you’re ON THE WAITING LIST, please consider this as notice YOU HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED! We will see you on May 17th!
Your Friendly Neighborhood Edcamp Philly Planning Team
Hi everyone! With a little more than two months to go until our event, we are *SOLD OUT*! We’ve activated the WAITING LIST for ticket sales and have asked everyone who’s already registered to let us know if they cannot make it so we can free up some tickets.
We’re therefore expecting RECORD ATTENDANCE at the penultimate Edcamp Philly!
Can’t wait to see you on May 17th!
With Kind Personal Regards,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Edcamp Philly Planning Team